It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:02 am

Other eReaders

How to Pick the Right e-Reader

Sony Reader, Kobo, Asus, and the rest of the pack.

How to Pick the Right e-Reader

Postby tess pfeif » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:18 pm

1. e-Readers, despite their technologically advanced name, should be given some face time and not be bought (or not bought) because of a few reviews. Because e-Readers are something one handles in a variety of situations (from the beach to the bedroom), you need to get a feel for screen size, weight, etc...in person. Your eyes may prefer e-ink, color, black and white. You might find backlighting neccessary or superflous. The list goes on and on.

2. You need to think about if you "need" color or not. If you plan to use the e-Reader in juction with children's books, magazines, and other color-neccessary features than you should shell out the extra cost for color. However, if your reading taste tends more towards "classic adult" (ie. picture-free books, or books with very few pictures), than you don't have a real need to pay for color. This is something that often goes unthought of and can seriously hurt your final decision.

3. HOW MUCH BATTERY TIME!! This is very important. If you plan to get an e-reader mostly for conveince in travel (ie. not having to lug around basically an extra suitcase of books and/or be forced to leave some books behind, or even worse, remain book-less) you might want to pay for higher battery power. If you plan on only using the e-reader casually (a day at the beach, before bed, on a rainy day, etc) or plan to leave the e-reader at home mostly, battery longevity is less of an issue.

Those are my top 3 tips! What are some of your tips? What do you wish you had known or what questions do you wish you thought about before buying your reader? If you're unhappy, what e-reader would have bought instead (or did buy).
tess pfeif

Re: How to Pick the Right e-Reader

Postby crunchyg » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:26 am

Very helpful, thank you for posting this.
crunchyg
Site Admin

Postby thatnewmommy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:25 am

Yup! I know of a couple of people who bought ereaders just because they were ereaders and when they saw me with mine and how I got it (a xmas gift from my partner that wasnt available in time for Xmas so he got another ereader to substitute for the moment. LOL) they examined my Nook along with their ereader and were disappointed in their purchase. One of them asked a word and I told them to look it up in the dictionary (you know when you just touch the word and the lookup comes up) but her ereader didnt have that function. A few days later she got rid of it. LOL
Crafter, Artisan, Baker, Designer, Homeschooler, Blogger and best of all...Stay-At-Home-Mom Extraordinaire!!! ;o)
www.thatnewmommy.com
thatnewmommy

Postby danielledavidson » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:58 pm

That is actually very helpful! Thank you for that! I think that those are all important things to think about. The biggest problem that I think people have is that they think they have to have the best one out there. I mean half the time the simple eReader is probably better for people then the one that is the most expensive. Plus, it's good to know what you want before you go into the store because chances are that the store people will try to get you to get the one that costs the most money. They will tell you about all the features and how you really 'need' them.
danielledavidson

Return to Other eReaders