It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:51 pm

Kindle Forum

Amazon Falling Behind (Oyster & Scribd)

Discussions about the Amazon Kindle, comparisons, and all trash talk goes here.

Amazon Falling Behind (Oyster & Scribd)

Postby tess pfeif » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Amazon has a new(ish) "unlimited" e-book service that allows you to read 600,000 books. That sounds like a crazy amount, but some people are struggling to find interesting and applicable titles. It has a few current titles, like "The Hunger Games". However, a lot of it seems to be a bargain bin of obscure stuff. There are tons of classics, but those are already in the public domain for free, anyway.

Startup companies Scribd (400,000) and Oyster (500,000) both offer better value for avid readers of more popular books. Though they have less than Amazon, they offer extensive libraries from two of the largest publishers,HarperCollins and Simon & Schuster. Kindle unlimited doesn't.

These companies also offer great suggestions and recommendations based on your taste (sort of like Netflix for books).

These apps are downloaded and available for a range of devices, including kindles (their competitors). Oyster works on Nook tablets, while Scribd has apps for Windows devices-however, Scribd allows you to read on web browsers on personal computers.

While many are frightened that Amazon is all-consuming, there are plenty of other competitors and start-ups.

source/inspiration: http://www.chieftain.com/entertainment/ ... ibd-oyster
tess pfeif

Re: Amazon Falling Behind (Oyster & Scribd)

Postby dustysmommy2013 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Oops! I wish I had seen this post before commenting on the other one. I voiced my opinion there that I also prefer Scribd over Amazon. I have fallen back into love with reading again because of Scribd. I don't have to worry about scrounging up the money for one book at a time anymore. I pay $9 at the beginning of the month and can read to my heart's content. There are plenty of newer books as well as great authors that I have always loved.

I would like to add that Scribd has an app in the Google Play store. I have Google Play store on my Nook. I seem to be one of the few that does, even though it wasn't downloaded from anything I personally did. It was an update sent to my Nook. I'm definitely not complaining though! Anyway, because of this little feature, I have the Scribd app on my Nook now and can read books on it, just like I had always intended to do.
dustysmommy2013

Postby gmckee1985 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:44 pm

Have never tried or heard of this "Scribd". Can anyone explain to me what it is, exactly? Obviously I can look into it myself but would rather someone who is experienced with it break it down for me.
gmckee1985

Postby thatnewmommy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:09 am

I hadn't heard of either not tried them. As a matter of fact I'm now wondering why my Nook doesn't have Google Play store. I'm going to have to check it out. Having a Netflix for books is great for those that can read more than a book a month. Sadly, it takes me longer due to lack of time.
Crafter, Artisan, Baker, Designer, Homeschooler, Blogger and best of all...Stay-At-Home-Mom Extraordinaire!!! ;o)
www.thatnewmommy.com
thatnewmommy

Return to Kindle Forum